Outpatient Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) at The Retreat
The outpatient DBT program is a time-limited treatment that is conducted in addition to the treatment already being received. The DBT program helps with problems related to emotional dysregulation, such as borderline personality disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, eating disorders, and substance use/abuse. Through this program, we work to help residents think differently about themselves, the world, and their future while practicing mindfulness, distress tolerance, interpersonal effectiveness, and emotion regulation skills. You must be at least 18 years old to seek admission to this program. In order for this program to be effective, participants must be willing to commit their time to treatment, including:
- One-hour evaluation session: A one-hour evaluation session to review your history and goals, to provide information about treatment, and to determine whether DBT is the best treatment at this time for your symptoms and goals.
- Six-month treatment contract: The treatment contract is renewable provided that the treatment has been effective for you, that you are actively engaged in the treatment, and that you have not exceeded the maximum number of missed sessions.
- One-hour per week psychotherapy: You are required to remain in individual psychotherapy for at least one hour per week with a therapist (does not need to be a Sheppard Pratt therapist).
- Agreement from your primary therapist: Before participating in the program, your primary therapist must state that he or she assumes crisis management responsibility.
- Two 90-minute group sessions per week: This consists of a therapy group and a skills training group. Groups currently meet on Wednesdays from 3-6 p.m.
Group attendance is very important. Anyone that misses three out of five group sessions will be dropped from the program. The initial evaluation session is $375. Each group session is $175, which equals a monetary commitment of $350 per week. Fees for all groups are collected at the beginning of each month for the entire month. There is no refund for missed sessions. All services are self-pay and insurance is not accepted. We do not work with insurance companies to facilitate your reimbursement.